Anonymous asked: do you have any advice for selecting clothes/shoes/etc that are investment pieces?
I think the key thing when selecting investment pieces is to think of the kind of things you’d like to have around for a significant amount of time. That’s what investment pieces are, things that you plan to last and keep around.
The key is to invest in things that fit into your lifestyle, not what someone thinks you should invest in. If you don’t live somewhere that warrants a heavy wool winter coat; don’t invest in one… thank kind of deal.
But here are some starting off points:
- It’s ‘classic’ pieces that you’re most likely to want to invest in. Things that may not be considered ‘trendy’… things that in 5, 10, 15 odd years you won’t be “why did I waste so much money on this?”
- What are the types of pieces that you’ll wear time and time again through the seasons, year after year. Those are the type of things you should invest in.
- Is your lifestyle or where you live any effect on the clothes you wear. If you don’t live somewhere that receives a lot of rain, you probably wouldn’t want to invest in a trench coat. If you don’t like wearing heel, or ever really have a reason to, you probably shouldn’t invest in a pair.
- those are just a few things to think of…
But here is a list of pieces typically invested in:
- Heavy Weight Coats [Wool, Cashmere, etc.]
- Trench Coats/ Barbour Jackets
- Sweaters [Cashmere, fine fibers]
- Nicer Occasion Dress [Black or not, whatever color]
- Pair of trousers, skirt, or both
- Leather Gloves
- Ballet Flats, Brogues/Loafers, Heels, Boots [knee high or ankle]
- Handbag, Wallet, Clutch, Luggage
Hopefully that helps! I think a big thing is to first think of the kind of things you’d likely use year after year and not tire of; those are the things you’d want to invest in! xx.
- thejourn likes this
- darling-one likes this
- naidamaria likes this
- flowersinthe-attic likes this
- mythhound likes this
- conbravura likes this
- saran-wrapped likes this
- dfn4 likes this
- warmcardigans likes this
- longlivethequeen likes this
- roseanglaise likes this
- enthralledbyglitter likes this
- mmxyz likes this
- theepitomeofsimplicite said: Really good answer! I like it :)
- coffeestainedcashmere posted this